Dependent care

  • 0

Question: I pay someone to care for my child while I work? Can I deduct this expense?

Answer: No, but you may be able to claim a tax credit, which is more valuable than a tax deduction because it reduces your tax liability dollar for dollar.

You can take the child care credit if you pay someone to care for your child who is under the age of 13, or for a child or other dependent (any age) who is physically or mentally incapable of caring for themselves. You must have earned income in order to claim the credit, and you must need the child care to allow you to work.

The maximum credit is 35%. Eligible expenses are $3,000 for one child and $6,000 for two or more children.



All stories by: speakeasy

Comments are closed.